Dog Training and Housecleaning
Recently I have undertaken a complete and detailed cleaning and organization of my home. While I have kept surfaces at a level from good to acceptable for the past years, I have not done a true clean out since we moved into this house seven years ago.
As I do this, I see some interesting parallels between housecleaning and dog training. Just like good dog training, good housecleaning takes time. I am learning this as I spend a goodly amount of time each day truly cleaning my house. This isn't just a surface clean. I am taking the time to empty and go through drawers, cabinets, and boxes. I am making decisions to keep, give away, or throw away. I am sorting, rearranging, and cleaning. And it takes time. Some things do get set aside so I can deal with one area or another. Some areas get re-messed as I pull things apart to get to the bottom of piles and stacks.
I began this project about a week and a half ago. While the overall appearance of the house is not radically changed, there are already striking differences. The house is beginning to "open up". I am seeing a difference, but the work is far, far, far from finished.
It strikes me that this is a lot like dog training. Especially behavior modification. Often people want quick fixes. They want a "surface clean", so to speak. Make the dog stop jumping. Make the dog stop pulling. Make the dog stop barking. They either do not know, or they do not want, to take the time to go deeper and really change the mindset of the dog. Doing so takes time and work and patience. It sometimes requires setting some problems aside to deal with another. Sometimes problems resurface as the handler works to get to the bottom of what is really going on with the dog. Sometimes real progress is being made while the dog still appears to have "behavior problems".
At times I find it difficult to ignore the surface appearances in my home as I tackle those deep cleaning jobs. I have to trust that in the end I am going to have something that is much better than a home that is clean on the surface, but still cluttered and out of order underneath. I have to put aside the desire to "fix it now" and take the time that is needed to truly make my home better.
And in training, too, I have had to ignore some of the surface behaviors as I have addressed my dogs' confidence levels, anxiety levels, comfort levels, trust levels, attitudes, emotions, etc. I have also had to put aside the desire to "fix it now" and take the time and patience that is needed to truly help the become better. In the long run I have found this approach to be worth it.
Whenever I grow impatient and want a completely clean and ordered house "right now", I need only look to Speedy to know that patience, persistence, and babysteps pay off in the long run. When I started working with him, he was a highly fearful and overstimulated mess. With a lot of work and patience, he got to the point where he could pass for normal. Now, all these years later, he is, for the most part, normal.
And with the same kind of work, time, and patience, my home will become a cleaner, more organized, more peaceful, and more beautiful place.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home