Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Training

Me being me, of course I have started to introduce Tessa to training. Slowly, slowly, slowly - more slowly than I have ever gotten started with any dog. :)

Tessa gets nervous when anyone stands over her, so I started out sitting on the floor to introduce her to the clicker. I wasn't sure how she would respond to it, so I started with an iClick and I held it behind my back. She had no issue with the sound and I was glad for that. Click-treat, click-treat, click-treat, over and over. She ran away once, but came back when she heard me get some more treats out. Click-treat, click-treat, click-treat.

I can't say I saw any signs that she associated the clicks with the treat in that first session, but she was OK with it, so I was pleased. I am expecting to take things very slowly with her.

I have been using the real life opportunity of group treat distribution to teach her a sit. This happens with the other dogs present. The first time, she was standing around with them and I cued them to sit. They all sat, but of course she remained standing because she doesn't know "sit". I put her treat on her nose to try to lure her into a sit, but she quickly skittered backwards. I saw that was moving very fast. So, I switched to a doggie zen game. I held the treat in my fist, waited for her to choose to stop trying to get it, and then I gave it to her. For the first few days after starting this, that's what I did. I was hoping that by playing that game, she would become less worried about my hand in her face.

It must have worked because several days later, she wasn't as worried when I tried to lure her into a sit. She still backed up, but only slightly. I held the treat a little higher and she moved forward toward it - she actually lifted her front feet off the ground and then folded back into a sit! I popped the treat in her mouth as soon as her rump hit the floor.

I then made the mistake of saying "sit" to her very quietly. That made her very nervous. I went back to the plain lure, but she was wary, so she just got the treat that time.

The next time I again lured her up and then down into the sit. She went faster that time. Still wasn't ready to do it a second time, but I didn't make the mistake of saying "sit" again.

The next time, she actually went into the sit without having to lift her front paws up and soon she could do it twice!

I was so proud of her the day she read the context and sat all on her own! :) I can even say "Tessa, sit" to her quietly now, and she will sit for her treat! I'm not reading this as fluency. She has a long way to go for that. But this really is the first thing she has learned through training by a human!

Another proud moment was the day Tessa got in the car all on her own. Well, OK, she had a little help from Dean, but she did it without needing me to get in first!

A few days after her vet trip, I decided to take her along on a post office run. I wanted to see if she would follow dogs into the car, so I put her out in the dog yard with Dean and Speedy. They stood at the gate as I got the car ready, but Tessa saw what I was doing and she ran back to the front door. Once Dean and Speedy were in, I went up to the house and put her on a leash. Again, she came with me willingly, but balked when we got near the car. I just waited for her. She stood at the open door and suddenly she shot in and landed in between Speedy and Dean.

Again, she rode well. This post office trip led to another milestone. Tessa was left in the car for the first time. Of course, dogs are not allowed in the post office, so she had to stay behind. When I went to get out, she moved forward, wanting to follow. I eased the door closed and she moved back over by Speedy. She watched calmly as I went in, got mail, and returned.

That was a good experience for her and I think it led to her big success with our next car trip.

This time I was going to the post office and to get milk and eggs. I only took Dean along with us this time. As I was getting the car ready, Tessa was at the gate with Dean. Suddenly she ran back to the front door. I leaned into the car to get a leash and I noticed that she was back at the gate. I decided to see what she would do. When I went to the gate, I could see that Tessa had a look on her face. I seriously believe it was determination. I opened the gate and Dean got in the car. Tessa followed and sailed right in all on her own!!!!

I was thrilled! That was a HUGE milestone!

At the post office, she moved forward again, as if she wanted to follow, but moved over with Dean when I closed the door. When I went in for milk at the farm, Tessa didn't even try to get out. She automatically moved over to wait with Dean!

She's a smart little thing!

I think Tessa is going to adore learning once she gets the idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home