A Non-Dog Related Post
I don't often make non-dog related posts. In fact I think the last time I did that something really horrible was going on. But this time it's nothing like that. I've just been thinking about a lot of things lately and I felt the need to organize my thoughts and get them written out.
Life has been different since August. Before that I had been in a seven year whirlwind. Working full time, trying to manage our household mostly on my own, getting into the dog stuff and training and competition and teaching. I remember how I always felt on my first day at Glen Highland Farm in the summers, especially when I used to go as a camper. I felt like I was flying, at 100 miles per hour, straight into a brick wall. After the impact, I always enjoyed that week when there were no obligations, time slowed down, and life became a green haven of peace and quiet. Aside from brief summer vacations at GHF or the beach, life never let up.
After the unexpected loss of my job in August, there was a time of transition. But aside from the initial shock and adjustment, I have loved this time off. My favorite thing, of course, is having so much time to spend with my dogs. I can't say I really spend any more time training them, but I have gotten to spend true quality time with them. Whatever I am doing in the house - cleaning, doing something on the computer, or whatever - there is a always a dog or two, or three, or four, or five right with me. Knowing that we are in the last part of Sammie, Speedy, and Maddie's lives, this time with them has been a true gift. And I have never had this much time with Dean. And we wouldn't even have Tessa if I had still been working.
I got a lot done at first. I got to catch up on some projects that had been waiting years for completion. I got to put some touches on my house like curtains. And I got some long needed cleaning done. There is still a good bit to do, but I made much more than a dent in the heavy work.
Then it got cold and the holidays approached and I got distracted. I honestly don't know how I used to manage it with a full time job. I guess I really didn't.
Even though we are still in the midst of Christmas, the work of it is behind us. I can enjoy the lights and the decorations for a couple more weeks and then I get the fun of cleaning out my Christmas closet, putting my stuff away, and getting out my Luray in anticipation of spring.
Still, I feel like I am on the verge of something really important. After the New Year, it is time to get back to work. I need to re-do my resume and start to seek a teaching job for next fall. I seriously hope that one will open in this diocese, but I know I need to look beyond that.
In the meantime, though, there is a very special project that I am hoping to devote a lot of my time to. It is something that I have wanted to do forever in a way. It is something that I have actually started, but have not gotten into as seriously as I need to if I am going to get it done. I am not saying what this is yet, but it really is one of those lifelong dream type things.
And it's now or never. This is my time. God has given me this time. I can use it or let it slip by. I will never have it again. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Once I start working again, I won't be able to do this. Even if I get a teaching job and have summers off, I will never have this kind of time. Winter is here. It is too cold to do anything outside. This is it.
Of course, there is also training to do. I mean to teach Dean the Level 3 Rally signs this winter. I have some Freestyle stuff to do with Speedy. Tessa will be starting out in her classes in a couple of weeks. And Maddie just needs to have fun!
I am hoping to be able to focus, stay on these things - especially the special project - and have a fruitful winter. This is more than a New Year's resolution. This is a shift in attitude that has been a long time coming. I hope I can make it happen.
The non-dog related post has come to a conclusion. We now return to our regularly scheduled Dean Dog and Friends blog!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home