Who is Tessa Now?
A year ago, Tessa was on her own, alluding Animal Control. She was frightened and becoming more and more wild and street wise.
This makes me recall who Tessa was when she first came to us in October. In a lot of ways it is hard to believe that she was the same dog that I live with now. If I think hard, I can remember her startling whenever I moved, even a little. I can remember her running from a room if I entered it. I can remember her being afraid to go into the back bedroom. I can remember not trusting her enough to let her off of the leash, even in my yard, for fear she would jump the fence and run away. I can remember the dull, lifeless eyes, and getting that sense that she was a dog who had lost all hope and expected nothing out of life. I can also remember her finding comfort among my other dogs and how she would try to "blend in" with them to find safety.
That was Maggie, the stray and shelter dog. That was Sadie, the foster. That was not my Tessa!
Tessa is a bright eyed, inquisitive, and happy girl. She is bold when she wants something! I wake up many mornings to her snuggling up to me and wiggling, closer, closer, closer, overjoyed to share the morning with me. Tessa is busy watching what is going on around her. She likes to look out the windows and see what is happening in the world outside. Tessa wants to learn. She loves to train and never tires of working with me, no matter what we are doing. She is shy at times, but always very sweet. She is sweet and gentle with Speedy. She is buddies with Maddie. And she loves to sass Dean, who seems to enjoy taking it from her!
That's just a snapshot. I could probably write all day and not stop describing Tessa!
While this is a time to reflect, it is also a time to look forward. Tessa still has a lot to learn, a lot to see, and a lot to do. In a lot of ways she is just getting started. I am grateful to have the chance to give her a great life, and she is wholeheartedly glad to live it!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home