Saturday, February 25, 2012

Nursing Home Visit

Yesterday I took Dean to a nursing home where the dog club that I just re-joined was doing a demo/meet and greet.  I actually re-joined to do stuff with Tessa, and I mean to participate over summer break, but I was free last night, so I figured I would go.  Tessa is definitely not ready to go to any kind of meet and greet event.  If it were just demonstration, I wouldn't hesitate to take her, but she is definitely not ready to go around having people that she doesn't know pet her.  She may never be a dog who enjoys that.  So, I took Dean.

I had some misgivings about taking Dean.  I had no idea if there would be any sounds that would bother him, but it would have been OK to leave if he couldn't handle it for some reason.  And he loves to meet people, so he was definitely the best of my dogs to go.  I definitely miss Maddie for things like this, but that can't be helped.

Dean did well.  He participated in the demonstration and he did heeling and halts and a few finishes and pivots.  He enjoyed that because he loves that sort of thing.  He liked meeting the people gathered in the room afterward, also.  After that we went around to some rooms (the staff took us around) and he started to get a bit antsy.  He has never done that sort of thing before and I think he was unsure of what I wanted.  He did enjoy walking the halls with the group, which was really interesting to see.  He also loved hanging out with the staff!  He made friends with a couple of them!

It is good to be able to share him a bit with people who can't have dogs anymore.  Many of them loved seeing him - they admired his color and enjoyed giving him treats and a pat on the head!!

And I think it was good for Dean.  It was definitely good to have an outing with just him, and he really enjoyed doing the demo.  I can see taking him to nursing home demo's in the future.  Tessa can do the "dog event" kind of things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home